CONSTITUTION OF THE ELK COUNTY STRIDERS
Note: Amended portions of the constitution are preceded by *. Please see AMENDMENTS below.
The name of the association shall be “Elk County Striders,” hereafter referred to as “this association” or “this organization.”
A. The primary purpose of the association shall be the promotion of running and the education of the public to its benefits.
B. In furtherance of objective “A” this association may hold championships, races on the road or track, lectures, fun runs, and other educational activities, demonstrations, clinics and social events; print and publish magazines and newsletters; make awards; and do all such things as may be conducive to the encouragement of running.
C. Other objectives are to engage in community activities, to publicize by appropriate means the benefits of running and jogging, and to coordinate with other entities advocating running as a means of physical fitness.
A. The management of this association shall be vested in a Board of Directors consisting of a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.
B. Duties of officers:
1. President - to preside over meetings, represent this association as chief executive officer, to call any special meetings, and to appoint committees and chairpersons thereof.
2. Vice-President - to assume the powers of the president in his absence and to take on special assignments as requested by the president.
3. Secretary - to record minutes at meetings, to keep a file of such minutes, and when requested by the president, to accept assignments involving correspondence and the keeping of records.
4. Treasurer - to administer all financial dues and to have authority to sign or disburse necessary appropriations, as directed
Officers may be elected to succeed themselves.
*D. Term of office:
1. Term of office shall be about one year, beginning with or at the close of the first meeting held within the calendar year, and in no case beginning later than March 31.
2. Offices filled upon resignation shall also expire at the time of the first meeting of the calendar year.
Officers shall be elected by majority vote of those present at the meeting.
F. Procedural Requirements:
1. Parliamentary procedure will be carried on at meetings, and every effort will be made to discuss any measures coming before the group.
2. A majority vote of the members present is necessary to pass ordinary measures. All measures shall be deemed ordinary except those proposing a constitutional amendment.
3. A quorum shall consist of those members present if equal to or greater than the number of elected officers plus one. No official meeting shall be held unless a quorum is present.
4. Constitutional amendment:
a. A constitutional amendment may be accomplished by a two-thirds vote of the members present at the meeting.
b. Only those who have been members of this organization for 30 days prior to the proposal of such amendment may vote upon such.
c. All members must be notified at least 7 days prior to voting that constitutional amendments will be discussed and voted.
*5. Meetings will be held at least once each quarter and more frequently if called by the president.
A. Dues shall be determined by a majority vote of the members present at a business meeting and shall not be changed more often than once per year.
B. This is a nonprofit organization. Dues, entry fees, and other monies received by the organization will be spent for carrying out the stated purpose of the organization. No part of the net earnings of the club shall inure to the benefit of its individuals.
C. Members using association funds for any purpose shall give a full record of expenditures to the treasurer.
D. This organization shall be empowered to participate in fund-raising activities.
In the event of dissolution of this association, the funds in the treasury, after all creditors have been paid, shall go to a nonprofit running organization chosen by the remaining members.
1. At a business meeting held December 19, 2004, III. MANAGEMENT, D. Term of office: was amended to read as follows:
1. Term of office shall be 1 year, beginning on January 1. Election of officers shall be held at a club meeting occurring during the last 3 months of the previous year.
2. Offices filled upon resignation shall expire on Dec. 31.
2. At a business meeting held December 17, 2006, III. MANAGEMENT, F. Procedural Requirements, 5.: was amended to read as follows:
5. A club meeting will be held during the last 3 months of the year. The President may call additional meetings.